Tuesday, September 11, 2007

so much to say, so little time to say it

I've been wanting to blog for some time now but just can't manage to find the time. Between my hour long commute and the girls' hectic after school schedules and starting RCIA classes (as a sponsor) it's usually pretty late by the time I can get a few moments alone with the computer. Even then it can be hard to get up the will to do anything with it after working on a computer all day long. Well, here are a few topics for discussion I hope to explore soon:

In light of the recent gospel readings over the past couple weeks, Jesus' "hard sayings" just don't jive with so much of Westen Christianity, especially evangelicalism and/or Pentecostalism.

I've been thinking about a line from a Caedmon's Call song Faith My Eyes: "But I get turned around/And I mistake my happiness for blessing/But I'm blessed as the poor/Still I judge success by how I'm dressing". That's got me thinking about what it really means to be Franciscan, and how to live out that calling in a secular setting while trying to raise my girls and give them the best I can.

On the sixth anniversary of 9/11 I'm still trying to figure out how a Christian responds to terrorism and rampant patriotism.

Here's a nice quote from Benedict XVI from his book Jesus of Nazareth:

"At the heart of all temptations, as we see here, is the act of punishing God aside because we perceive him as secondary, if no actually superfluous and annoying, in comparison with all the apparently far more urgent matters that fill our lives. Constructing a world by our own lights, without reference to God, building on our own foundation; refusing to acknowledge the reality of anything beyond the political and material, while setting God aside as an illusion--that is the temptation that threatens us in many varied forms."

0 comments: